The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page.
Epoch Games was founded by members of the ceased Middle Earth Roleplaying Project, a total conversion modification for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. We are a fully online, global, volunteer indie development team.
Because we are an all-volunteer team, we are willing to accept hobby developers, as well as professional developers, of various skill levels. In most cases, applicants are required to complete an assignment in order to show their skill level and work speed. If you’re interested, please post an application on our official forums.
The game is planned to feature an expansive, living world which will evolve and grow by itself, instead of revolving strictly around the player’s actions. The game is currently planned to be released Chapter by Chapter, with each bringing new regional content and gameplay features.
The World of Althas
Ever since it's early history, Althas has been a land shaken by conflicts. In the early days, these conflicts pitted the Anointed Kingdoms of Men against dark and demonic forces that threatened them. However, with the passage of time, the world has changed: the Anointed order is eroding away and new powers are rising. Another war looms on the horizon, a war of personal and political motivation. Thenodar, a burgeoning new kingdom in the North, and Anorthile, one of the last of the three remaining Anointed Kingdoms, now prepare for a war that will shake all of Althas. Old demons and new enemies gather in the shadows of both lands as each sets their sights on the ruined wilderness known as the Feralands.
There are many features we aim for in The Lays of Althas: SO. The game is in the early stages of development, so many of the features listed below are subject to change:
- Open World: Adventure on the continent of Althas. A large, open-world awaits the player with full freedom to explore. Regions will be released via Chapters.
- Deep Lore: The world of Althas has a rich history which is represented throughout the game. Interact with environments, NPCs, and as well as read through in-game books to learn more.
- Dynamic and Active World: Instead of a world that revolves around the player, we are creating a world where the player must learn to revolve around it. This approach will allow for date-based events to occur in Althas, even if you aren’t around to see them.
- Adaptive Skill-based Combat: The game aims for a skill-based, first-person, system. Giving the player full control over melee swings and stabs, as well as engaging ranged combat and stealth.
- Magic: Magic is a rare ability that the player will have to work hard to unlock in the Sundered Order period of Althas. When utilized correctly, it possesses a myriad of usages that can be extremely beneficial.
- Dynamic Factions and Wars: Factions will make decisions and go to war with each other. Battles happen dynamically, according to the timeline and based on causes-and-effects within the game.
- Multiple forms of Transport: Ridable animals and vehicles will provide faster travel, an advantage in combat, as well as benefits for transporting goods.