Unreal Tournament Release Notes
Version notes for build released 6/25/2015
TLDR: Major Changes This Build:
- New asymmetric CTF shells CTF-Volcano and CTF-Lance
- New recording and replay system enabled by default on all Epic Hubs, with UI for searching and playing past matches.
- New work in progress Link Gun and Sniper Rifle meshes.
- Networking improvements, fixes, and optimization, fixed firing synchronization issue.
- Movement improvements to floor slide and wall slide, plus improved overall responsiveness.
- Significant AI improvements.
- Upgraded to Unreal Engine version 4.8.
- New map vote system at the end of matches, replaces specifying a map list before instance is launched.
- Improved animations, including hit reactions and improved movement transitions.
- New asymmetric CTF shells CTF-Volcano and CTF-Lance.
- Actually included DM-Morbias this time.
- Rebuilt paths on all levels.
- Reworked processing flag base.
- Moved beserk to old biorifle position, area should not be so powerful now.
- Biorifle now near flak down the ramp.
- Chest armor platform is now much easier to land on, don't need to be a air control ninja to get it.
- Reworked shock area.
- Added slide spots and tweaked some geo.
- Added door/udamage passage to courtyard.
- Tweaked pathing to fix a ramp that wouldn't build and added a lift jump to the vials near the flak cannon.
- Fixed ambient occlusion on Flak Cannon, Shock Rifle, and Enforcer.
- Hooked up work in progress prototype Link Gun mesh & animations.
- Hooked up work in progress prototype Sniper Rifle mesh & animations.
- Reduced weapon switch times 10-20%.
- Added extra visual shards for flak shots to define overlap hit spheres better and mostly just look better.
- Fixed flak shard centered damage scaling.
- Fixed remote controlled redeemer blowing up when it hits water.
- Fixed Rocket Launcher alt fire mode text being displayed after weapon is dropped.
- Fixed inconsistencies with projectiles detonating redeemers depending on the order of collision.
- Link projectile overlap radius back to default.
- Fixed weapon hand for nonlocal players on server, so centered/invisible weapons always have centered shots in net play.
- Bouncing projectiles ignore corpses client-side.
- Fixed bio globs not being damaged by certain weapons.
- Fixed edge cases where projectiles with nonzero collision could be shot through very thin surfaces.
- Hide bio rifle glob with hidden weapons.
- Fixed projectiles not hitting pawns.
- Improved ground movement responsiveness.
- Increased player acceleration.
- New separate brakingfriction property, allows increased movement friction, so running direction changes are crisper.
- Increased sprint delay, and also increased sprint acceleration.
- Movement speed is now immediately limited to normal ground speed if strafe while sprinting, but also get full normal acceleration.
- Increased braking deceleration.
- Improved floor slide.
- CrouchHeight and slide height are the same (not necessarily final value though).
- Slide after dodge starts off faster than regular slide speed.
- Can slide down a slope as fast as sprint speed, depending on steepness of slope and speed when started.
- Limit floor slide initial speed if sliding up a slope based on incline.
- Slide and crouch are both controlled from crouch key (slide engages if movement direction key is currently pressed and character moving at close to full run speed).
- Fixed limiting slide speed after dodge.
- Can tap crouch right before landing and get a slide - don't have to hold through the landing.
- Separate lower eyeheight for floor sliding.
- Improved wall slide.
- No more auto slide. Wall slide now triggered by holding jump.
- Fixed bApplyWallSlide getting cleared every frame after physics, keeping sound and animations from working properly.
- Now stay locked to wall once wall slide has engaged and still holding jump, can look around while sliding.
- Camera roll while sliding, dependent on camera orientation relative to wall.
- Slightly longer and flatter wall slide. Start wall slide effects before reach peak of jump.
- Improved falling movement responsiveness.
- Separate air control values for regular jumps and dodges.
- Increased regular jump air control.
- Made dodge slightly flatter (slightly faster + less vertical impulse = same total distance).
- Fixed network firing synchronization. No more shots fired one frame off on server.
- Replicate compressed version of acceleration as part of FRepUTMovement.
- Use replicated acceleration to update simulated velocity of other players.
- Update client-side simulated velocity before simulating movement to match server more closely.
- Improved client simulation of transition from dodge to sliding.
- Reduce lifespan of projectiles in proportion to forward prediction of movement. This fixes flak center shard doing too much damage at long range, and inconsistent life span for impact shield making it seem like projectiles were inconsistently blocked.
- Network property replication optimizations by reducing precision of some replicated positions.
- Optimized bandwidth use of various RPCs.
- Fixed WalkMovementReductionTime unnecessarily always updating and therefore always being replicated to owner.
- Much more efficient RPC for stats replication, using bytes instead of FNames.
- Fixed active zoom forcing move replication unnecessarily.
- New replication system for movement events, used currently by jump, dodge and slide. Replicated struct includes movement event type and location.
- Fixed ragdolls getting teleported on net clients due to position smoothing bug.
- Fixed HeadArmorFlashCount and slide sound replication.
- Fixed synchronization of network firing for charged fire (Rocket Launcher alt, bio rifle alt, and impact hammer primary). This fixes the net correction when impact jumping.
HUD and Scoreboards
- Put /numplayers back onto DM game clock widget.
- Fixed powerup left side bar stacking.
- Fixed including spectators in HUD leaderboard.
- No team coloring for power up indicators or weapon bar.
- Can cancel team switch requests before match again.
- Updated rank badges to use Liandri logo instead of medal (temp art).
Characters and Animation
- Added more additive transition support.
- Upper body blend has its own interpolation blending time now matched to transition animation times to keep upper body from spinning around backwards the shortest distance.
- Converted enforcer idle and all current enforcer transition animations to additive animations and poses.
- Backpedal bool improvements.
- Changed how transitions work, much more reliable using acceleration.
- Fixed dual enforcer going to a t-pose while moving. Hooked it up as an additive as well with only one idle pose to drive all the running and transitions for now.
- Updated dual enforcer to be additive when running, both enforcer and dual enforcer; still need a better solution for blending while transitioning run directions.
- Improved enforcer additives while changing direction transitions.
- Updated crouch fwd rifle to be lower, WIP for testing.
- Updated arms/weapon translation and rotation for quick example of ideal weapon placement.
- Added hit reactions, with hit reaction direction event to hook up some additive hits.
- Wall runs updated to account for downward momentum, change in location for a few animations that were in the wrong spot.
- Updated state machine to allow transitions from direction changes to sliding. Before direction change animations had to finish before the slide could trigger.
- Consider 'none' physics as 'walking' in the animation blueprint for purposes of feign death recovery.
- New stats back end.
- Fixed top kills and top K/D for team determination in net games.
- Fixed suicides stat not being replicated.
- Added Reward Stats page to scoreboard.
- Fixed up and down keys moving player when being used to change stats page.
- Don't show stats page for spectators.
- Fixed scoreboard stats page scaling issues.
Hubs and Server Browser
- Hub Instance Map Vote system added.
- Only select 1 map in the game selection screen.
- Vote for next map to play at end of match.
- New Dedicated instance support.
- Any server can be a dedicated instance of a hub.
- Added a list of allowed hub keys to the UTLobbyGameState.
- Dedicated servers can be connected to a HUB using the -HUB=<ip> -HUBKey=<key> comandline (or config values)
- Return destination server GUID is passed to instances, available in the GameState.
- Hosts can now assign teams and force spectators
- Fixed a crash when the host disconnects mid-match setup.
- Only attempt to talk to hubs if you're an instance (fixes standalone/ded servers ensuring inside NotifyLobbyGameIsReady).
- Hubs now use the asset registry for displaying maps/game/etc..
- Changed the map screenshot code to use async loading to stop it from blocking.
- if the hub instance lobby switches to a map you don't have the client will request a download.
- Delay joining an instance if you are still downloading paks.
- Game rules now define what map prefixes to pull maps from and will show all maps that meet the optimal player # requirements.
- Custom mutators now work in the hubs.
- Added a method for mutators to pass and receive their options via url.
- Fixed mutators not showing up in the hub menu.
- Cleaned up how the lobby generates its allowed assets lists to be consistent.
- Removed the initial lobby timeout.
- Changed how players are tracked via instances.
- Changed how instances report their data to the MCP and how instances are displayed in the browser.
- Fixed players not properly leaving a match if they cancel the initial setup
- Keep the session alive between map changes.
- New replay system saves recorded matches to central repository.
- Recorded matches can be watched live or later, with DVR like functionality.
- Watch menu provides options for searching for, filtering, and viewing replays.
- Full enhanced spectating system functionality available when viewing replays.
Enhanced Spectating System
- Spectator slide out is now clickable.
- Pause/Play/Rewind/FF now part of spectator slide out if viewing recorded match.
- Added logic + LD override for specifying power up team side in slide out.
- Now display Super Health status on slideout.
- No longer scale player names on slide out. Scale slide out weapon icon when it is firing.
- Fixed spectator camera jitter when viewed player is backed against wall.
- Fixed displaying of suicide messages when spectating.
- Added console command "startcastingguide" to start the multi screen casting guide from in-game (must already be spectator)
- Separate spectator password "?SpectatePassword"
- Give weapons a chance to update team color if the weapon was already brought up (when viewed by spectator).
- Fixed up some reward announcements.
- Added new alt and at 5 reward announcements for special weapon kills.
- Added reward message for close up flak kills and flak sprees.
- More new announcer rewards for impact hammer kills and sprees.
- Translocator telefrag reward messages.
- AirSnot reward announcement based on difficulty of bio rifle alt shot.
- New announcement for really outstanding combos. Implemented precaching of reward and weapon spree announcements.
- Improved ordering of spree/reward announcements when multiple happen simultaneously.
- Added support for cancelling announcements based on pre-existing announcements.
- Improved flag announcement interruption logic.
- Audio balanced announcer files.
- Single Reward and Status announcer actor, so no announcements on top of each other.
- New announcement prioritization for inserting announcements into pending queue.
- Reduced multikill interval.
- Improved CTF announcement cancelling.
- CTF scoring messages interrupt more other messages.
- Switched time message to differentiate between the advantage countdown and end of match countdown when overlapping.
- No tenths in time to respawn message.
- Made amazing combo reward harder to get.
- Fixed Losing advantage audio spam
- Added announcer countdown to complement the "Losing advantage in..."
- Fixed timer messages when timelimit is 0.
Engine and Editor
- Upgraded to Unreal Engine version 4.8.
- Fixed issue where BSP surface transforms could get broken when applying them to geometry surfaces which are out of sync with the owner Brush (because Auto Build BSP is disabled).
- Plugin descriptor support for silently ignoring load failures.
- Attempt to use whitelist platform instead of bNotRequired.
Custom content download support
- Fixed issues with Hubs supporting custom content.
- Fixed http downloads timing out from continuous async reads on Windows.
- Fixed redirect progress bar on Windows
- Fixed crash when custom content is a bad URL.
- Made redirect download information human comprehensible.
- Localization for redirect dialog (thanks Lynx).
- Preserve password and spectator status on redirect reconnect.
- UNREALTOURNAMENT_API pass
- Made Drop and SendHome blueprint callable and made score a blueprint native event.
- Couple of tweaks to make UTGameMode more blueprint friendly (thanks Wail).
- Made UTGameMode EndGame event blueprintcallable, as suggested by MonsOlympus.
- Exposed bCanThrowWeapon to blueprints.
- Added bot class to gametype properties (thanks RattleSN4K3).
- Updated pickup spawn effects and timer.
- Hooked up new holographic image for picked up inventory items.
- Default to FXAA rather than temporal AA at high setting (Epic setting is still temporal AA).
- Removed shard trail fx ribbon delay and toned it down a bit.
- Updated LinkGun primary fire effect and primary fire impact effect.
- Fixed weapon effects sometimes spawning at the origin when the shooter is not visible.
- Added wall dodge and landed particle effects.
- Landed particle effect spawned and scaled based on landing Z velocity.
- Added floor slide effect.
- Added a light to the Berserk powerup.
- Fixed muzzle flash sometimes playing when first switching to a weapon.
- More robust implementation of Frag Center.
- Fixed only being able to open one mutator menu per create game menu due to inverted check
- Added a guard to the player card to stop a potential crash.
- Hide console on travel.
- Merged in community PR 199 for large aspect ratios. Thanks Dr. Daxxy.
- Windows fullscreen support in the system menu. Merged from Unliterate.
- Custom games pull data from Asset registry instead of LevelInfo.
- Fixed custom match's botfill settings leaking into rule based matches without bots.
- Fixed crash in the Custom match menu.
- Fixed the create game dialog to not scroll in custom mode.
- Stop firing when bring up the menus.
- Fixed friends list and chat styling issues.
- Implemented mutator groups in the UI
- Verify game settings before allowing you to progress past the Game Setup Dialog.
- Fixed input boxes not displaying their text message correctly
- Additional padding for the open ip dialog.
- Client connect options now persist through the password dialog
- Pain volumes damage over time any pawns touching them. even if pawn center is not immersed.
- Fixed being able to pick up flags at instant of half time starting and then keeping the flag when the game resumes.
- Prevented flag captures when standing on the base at the end of the match.
- Changed generic shootable door to generic triggered door. It can still open from damage, but now is also compatible with button blueprints.
- Changed pickup collision profile to fix pickups/flags not colliding with blocking volumes.
- Kill player before teamchange so the correct team loses the point.
- Cleaned up ELO average calculation for badge, added CTF ELO to calculation.
- Now also weight "best" gametype more heavily in ELO calculation, and no penalty for playing secondary gametypes.
- Added ELO badge to CTF scoreboard.
- Flag is returned if falls into pain volume.
- Added AdvantageDuration as an option.
- Added Oculus Audio to UT (HRTF 3D positional audio with headphones).
- Added HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) menu option.
- Fixed non-spatialized mono sounds not working when using a plugin sound spatializer with xaudio2.
- Moved audio assets into appropriate sound group and sound class.
- Converted a few assets from stereo to mono to ensure that they would play with a localized source.
- Fixed non-spatialized sounds not playing correctly in PIE.
- Added low pass filter to Bio Audio.
- Increased radius of Redeemer missile in air audio.
- Added equip/lower audio for all weapons.
- Updated Stinger Minigun audio (altfire,impact, etc.).
- Added audio component to Stinger projectile.
- Updated Floor slide audio to sound more like "slide" to match current animation.
- Wall slide sound is now a looping local ambient sound.
- Improved bot use of translocator in combat situations (especially when chasing flag).
- Fixed bots seeking favorite weapon.
- Fixed calculation of total jump velocity for jump paths when multi-jumps are involved.
- Fixed bots using boot jump when "missing" a jump target where they can walk from the actual landing position to the desired target.
- Significantly improved evasiveness of high skill bots moving around the level while in danger of enemy fire.
- Reduced strafing of low skill bots and reduced their likelihood of firing while moving.
- Fixed bots getting stuck temporarily if they encounter a ledge while in combat tactics.
- Added bot avoidance logic for bio globs.
- Fixed an edge case where bots would try to charge the bio rifle forever.
- Added WallDodgePoint that LDs can place in levels to inform bots about good spots in levels to use wall dodging to traverse the area faster.
- Fixed some edge cases where bots would get confused while riding on a lift.
- Fixed jump pads not generating correct AI paths when the LD places the end target in midair.
- Fixed bots not wall dodging correctly most of the time.
- Rewrote bot character definitions to be created in the editor instead of .ini file.
- Fixed crash at halftime if bots are removed from the game.
- Set up bot personalities for Thunder Crash and Black Legion teams first pass.
- Significantly improved jump boots/impact jump path generation.
- Fixed crash if a bot wanders onto a lift when pathing is invalid.
- Improved messaging for various path building errors.
Previous Version Notes