Unreal Tournament Release Notes
Version notes for build released 7/29/2015
TLDR: Major Changes This Build:
- New Rocket Launcher WIP mesh.
- Substantially improved scaling and FOV distortion for all first person weapons.
- Reworked training missions with improved menu and levels.
- Replay watching improvements, including the ability to take high res screenshots, and record and upload videos to YouTube.
- Improvements to spectating and to spectator slide out.
- Added Showdown - experimental round based duel prototype.
- Stats improvements, including adding movement stats.
- New kill feed in upper left corner of HUD.
- Improved Player Cards, now including match stats.
- Significant updates to CTF-Volcano and CTF-Lance.
- Improved character animations, especially wall running.
- BSP editing improvements.
- Performance improvements.
- Improved Quickmatch functionality, with streamlined UI and skill matching.
- Improved match creation and map vote interfaces.
- Improved custom content support for Hubs.
- No longer need to jump to get udamage.
- Volcano redeemer moved behind and below the flag at bottom of magma chamber, safer firing position.
- Moved shield belt to a more central position, as close to balanced as possible.
- Moved keg on top of central cliff.
- Each base now has a chest armor, commitment needed to get each of them.
- Slightly adjusted rock materials for more clarity of movement speed and scale.
- Fixed kill volume accuracy in volcano base.
- Moved temple rocket launcher away from the flag room, now is located on the left entry door to help reduce splash spam
- Gave temple team thigh armor in flag room, where rocket launcher used to be.
- Opened up the main temple flag room a little, more room to dodge rocket spam!
- Moved keg to left path to encourage its use.
- Fixed 1 second additional delay when lava sinks back into floor after eruption, now it works as intended.
- Added a little more cover to the left route.
- Replaced lifts with generic mesh so pivot is correct for ai pathing.
- Fixed the button blueprint used in Vortex to work for all projectiles and not needlessly call some RPCs.
- Fixed bot paths.
- Removed sniper ammo from top elevation, moved UDamage to a lower area and replaced it with a keg.
- Increased height of tower by 400 units.
- Raised water slide jump so it's inaccessible from ground below.
- Brightened up lighting a bit
- Layout/lighting polish.
- Raised lower base up and reduced vertical distances, more space to dodge and less steep ramps.
- Changed top of tower to single steep ramp, made steep glass surface on tower base slippery.
- Added WIP 40% complete Rocket Launcher prototype mesh, materials, & animations.
- All first person weapons have panini distortion applied so they look consistent regardless of FOV
- All first person weapons have better lighting since they can be drawn larger without clipping because of new material effect.
- Adjusted positioning of all first person weapons.
- Hooked up first person arms mesh; weapons can decide to use it or not by setting HandsAttachSocket.
- Fixed starting with impact hammer incorrectly when auto switch on pickup is turned off (again).
- Slightly reduced rocket damage radius.
- Slightly reduced shock combo damage radius.
- Guided redeemer temp HUD overlay.
- Fixed detonating with weapon fire remote controlled redeemer missile.
- Fixed redeemer missile not disappearing immediately when exploding.
- Reduced shock beam imparted momentum.
- Significantly reduced flak imparted momentum.
- Slightly reduced rocket imparted momentum.
- Tweaked flak shard impulse z momentum.
- Slightly reduced main flak shard max bonus damage.
- Increased flak shard damage attenuation at long distance.
- Don't bounce flak shards after 1 second.
- Fixed point blank flak not gibbing consistently on clients
- Increased translocator disk health.
- Translocator disk bounces off impact shields.
- Made it easier to telefrag feigning death players.
- Adjusted redeemer position when holstered.
- Reduced max camera roll during wall slide.
- Fixed bug that was causing players to engage wall slide trying to get out of water or mantle up.
- Fixed issues with getting out of water.
- Improved swimming movement behavior at water surface.
- Clear falling state properties when fall into water. Fixes getting stuck in wall slide underwater, and various other jumping/dodging related bugs that occurred on first jump/dodge after falling into water.
- Fixed ProcessLanded() not being called if went from falling to landed through a teleport. Fixes falling state properties not being cleared when translocate while falling.
- Damp velocity when enter water fast.
- Slightly increased floor slide speed, and decreased deceleration from initial floor slide speed.
- Wall run starts earlier while still rising.
- Slightly reduced how long player can wall run on sloped wall.
- Make sure crouching players are limited to crouch walk speed.
- Added new option to control settings allowing players to turn off slide from run (so crouch button makes your crouch rather than slide if you are moving on the ground).
- Fixed rarely erroneously firing weapon client-side on bring up.
- Fixed double combos in network games.
- Don't mix client-side and server-side combo hit detection.
- Fixed rare case where impact hammer alternate fire would persist forever on clients.
- Don’t send clients to MatchState::LeavingMap so failed travels don't get stuck in the state.
HUD and Scoreboards
- New Kill feed in upper left corner of HUD.
- Added more fun self kill messages.
- Now allow 3 death/reward messages to display, stack up rather than down.
- Console death messages now start with killer name.
- Desaturated health and armor numbers on HUD.
- Fixed text scaling in DrawText() of UTHUDWidget.
- Tweaked weapon bar ammo bar colors.
- Don't show long binds on weapon bar.
- Adjusted scoreboard header and footer to work better with mid game menu.
- Clear scoreboard selection when bring up playercard.
- Don't count replay capture spectator as a spectator in scoreboard.
- Added jumpboot activation message.
- Set the Scoreboards, Spectator and SpectatorSlideout widgets to ignore the hud scale.
- Added the ability to change the scale of the powerup display.
Characters and Animation
- Added additive base and rifle wall running that is directional so that the player faces where aiming while running on the wall (running backwards and forwards with aiming supported).
- Fixed wall run not playing correctly on clients.
- More running transition work, should have less spinning around now. Strafe is forced when crossing -180/180 threshold and run/backpedal have been separated into their own states with new rules.
- Added footstep notifies to additive base runs.
- Reduced angle to 140 from 160 needed to trigger backpedal as well as some anim bp changes for run transitions to reduce upper body spinning around.
- Added animations for dual pistol wall run support.
- Updating animations and anim blueprint to support additive crouching movement, currently only rifle pose is checked in.
- Some improvements to feign death recovery.
- Added new character variants to game (Thundercrash Taye, Picard, Riker, Deslok, Radcliff. Black Legion Sammael, Thannis, Grail, Judas).
- Default character is now named "Taye".
- First person arms for Malcolm and Necris.
- First pass of movement stats:
- Added stats for lift jumps, wall runs, and impact jumps.
- Added stats tracking for slide and wall run distance.
- Added stats tracking for telefrags.
- Fixed page numbering for scoreboard stats pages.
- Added individual and team stats for score per minute.
- Fixed team stats replication.
- Stats html page uses jquery toggle to tidy up display.
- Replicate Inactive PRIs for match stats so top player who just left still gets credit.
- Added GameState stats map to collect match stat totals
- Now have stats for how many times a timed powerup is grabbed.
- Moved inventory stats increment to the pickup base so you can still get a pickup credit even if you already have the inventory
- Changed some gametypes into friendly names in stats view.
- Fixed sprees not being recorded in stats properly
- Fixed translocator image on stats page
- Upload more match stats to the backend.
Hubs and Servers
- Made ServerName and ServerMOTD GlobalConfig.
- Updated hub gametype descriptions.
- Fixed crash in SUWGameSetupDialog::BuildCategories().
- Added code to force kill a find session when launching into an instance.
- Fixed disconnected client respawn crash.
- Made UI a little more robust to bad ruleset data.
- First pass at new map lists for game rules sets.
- Fixed Dedicated instances not getting the proper GameInstanceGUID.
- Fixed DM-Lea not showing up on hubs for selection by players who have the entitlement for it.
- Added ServerRefreshCheckpoint and set it default to 24hours. This will cause a hub to refresh itself if 100% empty after 24 hours.
- Fixed server not sending their flags to the MCP.
- Added additional code to check if a match is full for both players and spectators in a hub.
- Fixed custom matches in the hub not properly setting the bTeamGame flag.
- Fixed crash in a client that doesn't have a map that is selected in a hub.
- Fix for instances not timing out.
- Game rules now have manually controlled map lists with a set # of slots.
- Custom games still offer all available maps in a given game type.
- Rules are more configurable (admins can now remove Epic rules from their hubs).
- Changed the style on the map selection button to be more visible.
- Made the LAN and Password server icons white to match the colors.
- Added -LAN to denote a lan server.
- New training UI, with persistent storage of best training mission runs.
- Visual pass on training levels.
- Training map flow improvements.
- Ghost character system to support showing players exactly how to perform training tasks. Will also be useful for machinima.
- Added current match stats to player card.
- Player card information now organized into tabbed pages.
- Add country flag to player card.
- Added buttons for cycling through player cards of players in the match.
- EpicID is shown on the player card.
- Don't show kick button on playercard of bots and yourself.
- Limit max chat message frequency to stop aggressive users.
- Moved the clickable chat icon from the right end of the chat bar to the left end.
- Added some solid background colors to make friend’s chat window easier to see.
- Removed player name from System and MOTD chat destinations.
- Allow chat in standalone games.
- Fix for Friends and Chat invite crash.
- Initial implementation of assessing beginner status for quickmatch (using skill rating and number of matches played).
- Beginners quickmatch into beginner hubs, non-beginners into non-beginner hubs.
- Faster Quickmatch without joining a hub first..
- Adjusted quickmatch tradeoff between ping and matched players.
- Fixed Quickmatch going south when it attempted to connect you into an instance that was still starting up.
- Added a delay so that you can't abuse the quickmatch system.
- Fixed the quickmatch dialog opening in the wrong place.
- Fixed Quickmatch with passworded servers.
- Fixed cancelling a quickmatch that is waiting for the match to start.
- Added button to take 4K screenshots to the replay UI.
- Added UI for recording videos from replays.
- Videos are compressed to WebM format.
- Videos can be automatically uploaded to YouTube.
- Added annotations to replays, with bookmarks on the replay slider.
- First pass of kill data indexing on the replay bar.
- Add flag caps, returns, and denials replay events.
- Added multi kills to replay events.
- Drop down on replay slider that lets you choose a bookmark set
- Filter kills and multikill bookmarks by current viewed player.
- Add spree kill bookmarks to replays
- Made first person replay spectator work.
- Fixed some instances of scoreboard showing up during replay spectating.
- Fixed crash when opening a replay while in a replay.
- Fixed replay to replay transition not opening a new time slider.
- Fixed replay crash when pressing tab to view scoreboard.
- Fixed mouse not interacting with spectator slideout
- Scale the replay bar for different resolutions.
- Fixed Replay bar, player name, and camera list overlap.
- Fixed taken pickups vanishing when scrubbing replays.
- Show halftime scoreboard in replay.
- Set proper end game focus and show scoreboard at the end of the match while watching a replay.
- Hide replay bar when opening menu.
- Fixed replay scrubbing interaction with time dilation and clocks.
- Smooth harder on replay first person camera.
- Hide menu when opening a replay.
- Return to menu before showing the replay error dialog to avoid lockup.
- No longer auto-start replays when loaded.
- Show/hide replay time bar on menu open/close.
- Auto hide replay time bar. Move mouse to the bottom of the screen to show.
- Moved replay time bar to the bottom and extended width for better time precision.
- Added replay time slider tooltip.
- Don’t play messages while the replay is fast forwarding, to get rid of the kill message spam.
- Fixed losing which player was being followed by replay spectator when scrubbing.
- Include the HTTP response code in the logs if an HTTP request to the replay service fails.
Enhanced Spectating System
- Fixed showing wrong DM score in first person when spectated player is dead.
- Smaller text for camera binds on spectator slide out.
- Moved name of viewed player to right side of screen.
- Spectator player slide out layout improvements.
- Moved slide out down so can always show kill messages.
- Fixed unwanted messages displaying for spectators in freecam mode
- Interpolate third person camera over larger distances that have line of sight - makes translocating a little less jarring for spectators.
- Added button to bring up playercard in spectate view
- Reduced color saturation on spectator slide out.
- Fixed first person spectating not showing weapon when it was picked up off the ground instead of a pickup base.
- Announcement messages only to spectators identifying player who picks up powerup or armor.
- Fixed spectating in hubs.
- Allow weapons to customize behaviour of rep FiringInfo for first person spectating.
- Pack the Firemode in top 4 bits of FlashCount to prevent misfires when alternating projectile shots.
- Let spectator weapons handle their own effects.
- Replicate weapon zoom so spectators can see zoom when first person spectating.
- Fixed first person spectating for various weapon states:
- Impact Hammer charge.
- Rocket Launcher alt-fire.
- Bio Rifle alt charge.
- Link Gun beam.
- Shock Combo effects.
- Fixed 'Shredded' message being triggered incorrectly.
- Added pancake reward for killing someone by landing on their head.
- HatTrick reward announcement for 3 flag caps.
- Fixed incorrect time and announcer audio when transitioning into overtime from advantage time.
Engine and Editor
- Added Panini projection material expression for use in distorting weapon meshes to counteract distortion caused by FOV.
- Area shadowing for precomputed shadows from stationary lights.
- New light Lightmass setting 'bUseAreaShadowsForStationaryLight'
- Removed 'DistanceFieldPenumbraSize' project setting, uniform penumbra size comes from each light's LightSourceAngle or SourceRadius using a heuristic now
- G8 is used for shadowmaps when only one channel is needed, like in the case of a single stationary directional light, which reduces the shadowmap memory by 4x.
- BSP editing fixes.
- Fixed bug where BSP surface textures might become broken when building geometry.
- Fix editor changing game user scalability settings to max.
- Re-added some graphics scalability code that got lost in the upgrade to UE4.8. Improves performance of default settings for lower end systems.
- Fixed crashes due to empty string.
Custom content download support
- Fixed downloading content.
- Restored the content exists check
- Fixed the % display while downloading content
- Made reconnect after downloading content keep all previous url options.
- Fixed Redirects not being found properly in lobby matches.
- Cleaned up the custom map redirects to be easier to use.
- Made sure we don't check for local entitlements on a dedicated server.
- Made ScorePickup, ScoreDamage, ScoreKill, ScoreObject and CheckScore Blueprint native events.
- Made TravelToNextMap() blueprintable.
- Added a blueprint event to UTCharacter to allow disabling feign death.
- Added AddDefaultInventory() blueprint function to mutator.
- Made ghost character events extendable for modders to use.
- Exposed FOV scaling to blueprints.
- Moved UT specific network version code to initialize from StartupModule() instead of UUTGameInstance so it works for cooking.
- Make UTCharacter OverlayMesh blueprint accessible for mods.
- Added bCanPickupItems and OverrideFellOutOfWorld() to UTCharacter for blueprints.
- Shock combo visual tweaks
- Fixed forcing high LOD for own shock combos.
- Adjusted gibbing thresholds/enabling for various damage types.
- Added Gold rim effect on character for hits blocked by armor.
- Display armor flash instead of regular hit flash if damage taken > 90 or final health+armor > 90.
- Show blue hit flash for players with super health if damage taken is > 90 or remaining health > 90.
- Show pickup timers for weapons even if weapon stay is on.
- Pickup holograms no longer cast shadows.
- Removed big colliding rocks from redeemer explosion effect.
- Fixed weapon powerup overlay sometimes being visible with hidden weapons.
- Only set CustomDepth on main mesh for spectator tac-com overlay as it causes the character to render always which breaks various optimizations and gameplay features.
- Fixed messages boxes not wrapping correctly at anything but 1920x1080.
- Don't reopen menu when switching maps with the console open.
- Ignore all input that occurred during loading.
- Force UI to close on level transition.
- Show HUD settings in the Main Menu.
- Add HUD UI options for Kill feed and death messages
- Fixed the UI not working correctly at various aspect ratios.
- Reduced lens flare off Shock rifle in character select menu
- Grey out Weapon Priority arrows when selection is at top/bottom of list.
- Better handling of input focus with dialogs.
- Allow widgets to be added to the ViewportWidget without aspect scaling
- Improved Map vote.
- Fixed most flickering issues.
- Fixed crash.
- Game status text for when map vote is occuring.
- Organized character names by team in character select menu.
- Fixed the bot config menu to not have a scrollbar.
- Attempt at fixing the focus issues between Slate/Console/Viewport.
- Added Showdown - experimental round based duel prototype.
- Damage caused by world doesn't get scaled if player affected is holding UDamage.
- ThrowWeapon bind no longer works while the weapon is firing
- Don't score kills that occur during mapvote.
- No feigning when match not in progress
- Kill any upward Z momentum and don't add additional velocity to flag dropped by translocation.
- Fixed dropped pickups not working if they are overlapped in their initial spawn position.
- Slightly increased weapon pickup radius
- Added a mutator which adds a translocator to the players' default inventory.
- Added a game rules set for iCTF with translocators.
- Increased instagib boosting based on Raxxy’s recommendation.
- Force uncrouch when entering ragdoll.
- Fixed various actions still being possible while in cinematic mode.
- Allow match start and resume from half-time to be controlled by a caster, using ?CasterControl=1 on server command line and ?Caster=1 on client command line.
- Don't allow view bob above default.
- Hide eyewear when invisible.
- Put last team player was on in the URL so it will be maintained on travel.
- Balance teams doesn't prevent players' initial team selection (in HUB or from previous match) unless the game starts and teams are still unbalanced.
- Persistent inventory system WIP.
- Stop player camera at KillZ.
- Added music to DM-Outpost (Mekalopolis2015), DM-Spacer and CTF-Bigrock (Dissolution).
- Don't play exit sound for projectiles leaving water or pain volumes.
- Fixed playing splash sound when dodge sliding into water.
- Fixed audio spam of translocator disk slide.
- Moved Slime audio into Character Sound Class to fix attenuation.
- Increased volume/radius of rocket ambient audio.
- More fixes for bots on jump pads, including when they're trying to do combat moves and hit one accidentally.
- Fixed bots' use of bio rifle altfire.
- Fixed bots prediction of enemy going behind a wall when using splash or lob weapons.
- Gave each archetype bot a unique appearance (all Thundercrash males and Black Legion males).
- Improved bot use of impact hammer in combat.
- Bots more likely to select enforcer when have dual enforcers.
- Arena mutator modifies arena weapon AI rating so bots understand that's the best they're going to get.
- Fixed crouch paths not building correctly in some cases, and; use a darker green for crouch path debug display.
- Fixed old character sizes still be used for path building in some cases.
- Path building checks lift jumps for ceilings a bot might bump its head on and marks the path to adjust jump trajectory accordingly.
- Adjusted ELO levels for badges.
- Fixed issue with unplayed gametypes causing issues with average rank calculations.
- Added debug logging to average rank function so power users can decipher their rank calculation.
Previous Version Notes